Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 4 – On planning

I’ve always been big on planning. My wife, among others, thinks I’m too big on it. I’m guessing this reflects to some degree the approach du jour for many, in all walks of life, which is typically “JFDI” (just f***ing do it). I generally don’t subscribe to this. This is probably why I have a reputation for being academic and theoretical. Oh well.
About ten years ago I took Franklin Covey course, precipitated, I can only guess, by some pre-pubescent infatuation with planning. Really enjoyed that. After spending about 300 bucks on the course one finds it irresistible to spend another 500 on binders and fillers and little rulers and special calculators that fit in the non standard binders. What I learned from this is to always save the free annual diary some client or supplier gives you for Christmas every year. I Still have my leather bound FC planner, though. Looks great on the shelf and still houses all my  relatives’ phone numbers and addresses from wherever it was they lived 12 years ago.
But seriously folks, as my colleagues and former students know, I am a big fan of the Stephen Covey and the FC approach. From Stephen Covey – “begin with the end in mind”. This is all about the grand vision, which I suggest is somewhat underrated these days, given societies propensity towards the task-oriented end of the spectrum. And of course, “sharpen the saw”. After the vision one must execute, and is subsequently very tired, and must reenergize (think “Ibiza!”). This is my, and I suspect many of your, favorite habit . The other five, are about execution. Can’t remember them just now. Think I’ll look them up on-line at some point, and suggest you do the same!
Ben Franklin (The F in FC) also had some good ones. The one that clearly comes to mind is “a place for everything and everything in its place”. This is in fact the most clear and succinct explanation for one of the more trendy components of the still trendy Lean Manufacturing philosophy, called 5S (and to think companies are still paying consultants millions to give them such advice! Thank goodness!).
But I digress. Back to planning. Planning is often criticized because in hindsight nobody ever uses plans once they are made. And we all know, that if we bothered to look at them, they don’t look anything like what actually happened. I think this holds equally true in war, as in weddings and everything in between. Some of my favorite quotes on planning:
 “Plans are of little importance, but planning is essential” – Winston Churchill.
“In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless but planning indispensable” – Dwight Eisenhower.
“The 7 Ps - Piss poor planning produces piss poor performance” – from an old war movie.
My personal favorite, although not necessarily to the original point, “Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.”  - Mike Tyson.
And finally, one coined by yours truly, “let’s find out what good planning has to offer”. A couple of years ago, on a big family reunion to the US I tried to get very organized and plan all our families’ activities. I think this is how I phrased my initial plan to do some planning. I am often reminded of this by my sister (usually accompanied by hysterical laughter. (Although slightly mocking, she endorses the concept!)).
So one of the things I will need to do now, and throughout the year is better planning. At the moment I am very good at making lists and keeping them in as few places as possible. At times they are transferred to notebooks, xls spread sheets, word documents or MS outlook, but always end up back in the annual planning diary. I think a little Internet research on the topic may be in order. Will be back with more thoughts on what is best and perhaps a few tips and tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment